Sunday 31 January 2010

Homemade Exfoliator

As promised, I tried out Rae Morris' recipe for homemade exfoliator, using nothing more than a regular cleanser and Bicarbonate of Soda. When I spotted this in her book I reviewed last week, I thought it was the end of spending £20 a month on my favourite exfoliator. Hurrah!
I followed the instructions, mixing 1 teaspoon of bicardonate with a sploosh (my word, not hers) of my regular cleanser. It says to use any waterbased cleanser - I used Philosophy Purity Made Simple. I've no idea if this is water based or not, it works and I love it. So, it made a lovely fluffy paste in my hand and I slapped it on.
The first thing I noticed was how 'soft' the grainy bicarb bits felt in comparison to my normal exfoliator. I scrubbed and washed it off. This, however, is where it all went wrong. I couldn't seem to budge the bicard granules, no matter how much I splashed and everytime I patted my face with a towel, it scratched where there was residue. I admit this is probably my fault, but due to the fact I had to get in the shower to wash it off properly, I will not be doing this again! The excessive rinsing/rubbing/patting to get rid of the residue has left my cheeks very red and tender :(
Give it a go if you fancy and let me know how you get on. Be prepared for the taste of the soda running into your mouth when you wash it off!!



**please note, Rae recommends in the book not using this method if you have sensitive skin or are undergoing any type of chemical peel treatments. I agree. So please exfoliate sensibly.**


This is my usual exfoliator, available from Boots for £10. It warms in your hands so when you put it on, you get a lovely warming sensation across your face - it's not hot though. It brightens and smooths like no other exfoliator I've tried and it has never scratched my skin.


8 comments:

  1. Olay do a great self warming exfoliator too. i like sanctuary stuff too but find the smell a bit strong for my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled across your blog, love it!
    Thanks for following mine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Lauren, and thanks very much!

    Pam, yeah sometimes the clay smell is a bit much, but I still love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you tried the infamous aspirin mask?? See Michelle Phan's tute. I'm a recent convert - it exfoliates the skin really well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Hksg8B4cQ

    ReplyDelete
  5. L, I've only used aspirin paste on individual spots in past, never as a scrub! I'll check out the vid, cheers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg cant believe you use the sanctuary scrub i love it to. first discovered it when i went to the sanctuary spa for a spa day an had an amazing facial i purchased this product and have been repurchasing from boots ever simce i love the warming sensation i also use the charcoal clay mask from them aswell and love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm now not certain the place you're getting уouг
    info, but goοd topic. I needs to spеnd а ωhile stuԁyіng much more oг underѕtandіng more.
    Thanκ уou for wonderful іnfo
    І used to be sеаrсhіng for this іnformation for my mіssion.


    My ωeb page http://town-country.com.pl/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, what a webpage it is! This web site gives vawluable facts to us, keep it up.


    my web-site :: knights And dragons hack

    ReplyDelete